Saturday, March 21, 2009

Saturday, March 21

Scripture for the Day:

He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: ‘Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax-collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, “God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax-collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.” But the tax-collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, “God, be merciful to me, a sinner!” I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted.’ – Luke 18:9-14

Reflection – Joan Warga 

This gospel did not make me feel good about myself.  I saw myself in it – comparing myself to others.  “Is she heavier than me?”  “Am I as bad looking as she is?”  It brought out how little humility I have.  I don’t mean to personalize this reading, but it did make me feel ashamed because I really saw myself in it.

There is a passage somewhere where we are told by God to never compare ourselves to anyone else – “there will always be greater and lesser than you.”  I know He loves us all equally, but sometimes it does seem as if He gives more to the “Chosen Few.” They have lots of money, live in perfect homes, with perfectly manicured lawns in picture-perfect neighborhoods and towns. They never have to work out; they can eat what they want, they “forget” to eat (can you believe that??? - I wish God would give me a bad memory in that department. )

This gospel also tells how presumptuous the Pharisee is in comparison with the tax collector. 

He believes that he is the better man because he tithes, prays and fasts – but he doesn’t like God’s creatures, i.e., his fellow man.

This is Jesus’ recurring message – the last shall be first and the first shall be last.  He came to earth to be a slave, a servant, not to act like the King that He is.  Those who serve Him, serve His people.

To ponder and pray: Think of a person you really have trouble with. Now, hold him or her in your mind’s eye and ask God to shower that person with blessing. Lots of blessing. Stay with it for a good 3 minutes – like cooking an egg. Now… do you see anything different about them?

No comments:

Post a Comment