Friday, April 3, 2009

Friday, April 3

Scripture for the Day:    The Jewish leaders took up stones again to stone him. Jesus replied, ‘I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these are you going to stone me?’ The Jews answered, ‘It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you, but for blasphemy, because you, though only a human being, are making yourself God.’ Jesus answered, ‘Is it not written in your law, “I said, you are gods”? If those to whom the word of God came were called “gods”—and the scripture cannot be annulled— can you say that the one whom the Father has sanctified and sent into the world is blaspheming because I said, “I am God’s Son”? If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me. But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.’ Then they tried to arrest him again, but he escaped from their hands. – John 10:31-39


Reflection – Patsy Whitman 

I have shown you many good works from GOD … can you say that the one whom GOD has sanctified   …“I am God’s Son” If I am not doing the works of GOD, then do not believe me …     so that you may know and understand that GOD is in me and I am in GOD …

Please note that I have changed the word “father” to GOD … he/she is in each of us

But as I write this I find it difficult to understand our GOD who took from us two wonderful people who were so vital to their families, their friends, and their communities. The saving grace was that they were killed instantly and were spared a life of devastating injuries if they had remained alive.

As a small child on a visit from Dallas to Manhattan with my mother & father we went to hear preach Dr Norman Vincent Peale the author of a book that my mother dearly loved called The Power of Positive Thinking. Because of that ancient visit I was compelled to read an article in the Times on Feb 2 about the retirement after 24 years from Marble Collegiate Church of Dr Peale’s successor, Rev Dr Arthur Caliandro. Dr Caliandro “navigated the waters of the post- Peale era.” Among his many accomplishments he made a meeting space for the gay members of the church and put women on the church board for the first time. “Really what it is all about is Love”

The essence of Christianity is Love.

This would have made my mother very happy … she would have smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment