Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday – February 26

Scripture for the Week:

The apostles gathered around Jesus and reported to him all they had done and taught. Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”

So they went away by themselves in a boat to a solitary place. - Mark 6:30-32


Reflection – Eleanor Christensen

Saying no has always been hard for me. I know people who don’t have this problem, who know how to set boundaries and priorities, who can gracefully say no without offending; but I am still a learner. I usually have a guilty conscience when I refuse to help out, so I am an easy touch.

Fill in for an absent teacher at school, even when I have a huge load of things to accomplish? Sure. Give a student extra tutoring outside of school? If he needs it. Serve on the Admissions Committee, which meets several days a week after school? Of course. Then there are get-togethers with friends…..church activities…… All of these are good things, right? But the downside of always trying to participate and be helpful is that I get overtired and have headaches, and when I take on too many things I can’t enjoy the activities or do them as well as I would like.

So the idea of keeping the Sabbath every week in Lent sounds like a good goal for me.

Six days to meet all of my obligations and run all of my errands, and one day a week for stepping back and resting, recharging my batteries by doing simple, enjoyable things like walking, reading for pleasure, keeping a journal, taking time to reflect and be thankful. What sweeter invitation could there be than Jesus’ invitation to his disciples, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” I will do my best to accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment